Industry – Consumer Staples
Customer Situation –
With over 1,700 acres of premium vineyards and 140+ years of industry experience, our client chose to migrate from a legacy Oracle Enterprise Data Warehouse platform to a modern data warehouse architecture, built on the Microsoft Azure Data Platform to provide enhanced performance and functionality in support of their analytics needs.
As a long-time business partner, DSI’s experience with the Microsoft Data Platform and building analytical solutions with Canadian liquor board data provided us with the knowledge and understanding required, to play a leadership role in transforming our client’s analytics solution.
- An enterprise data lake, utilizing Azure Data Lake Storage.
- A modern data warehouse platform, employing Azure SQL Data Warehouse to curate cleansed data in a conformed dimensional model.
- Azure Data Factory Extract, Load & Transformation (ELT) processes, to manipulate data from various sources, move this within zones in the data lake and load this into the Azure SQL Data Warehouse.
- Azure Functions, for file pre-processing.
- Azure Analysis Services providing common and performant data sources, for multiple end-users to interact with uniform business logic, measures & attributes in a semantic layer.
- Power BI to enable intuitive end-user interaction with the data available.
- Azure Automation, for platform scheduling.
- Azure KeyVault as a secure secrets store.
- Azure Active Directory, for identity management and application access management.
- Azure Security Center providing centralized visibility of the security state of components.
- Log Analytics collecting telemetry and other data, providing a query language and analytics engine that enables insights into the operation of applications and resources.
- Consolidation of the client’s BI and Data Warehousing capabilities into a single solution stack in Azure.
- A re-design and enhancement of the platform, to increase and improve available features and ensure a highly supportable and performant solution.
- The provision of value-add to business users, by incorporating refined and enhanced organizational functional & non-functional requirements.
- A legacy of comprehensive documentation of the solution and how to operate it.